German Learning Seedlang Review

Hallo Freunde! Hello and welcome to another Tuesday post. Today will be a little bit different and it will be a short and sweet review on German Learning online application called Seedlang!

Some background about me so you can understand where I am coming from when reviewing this app. I've moved to Austria in 2019 and before that I started learning German casually a year before. That means some Duolingo, a small group of friends who were learning, and an online Udemy course. I didn't listen to media outside of those avenues. One thing that I didn't do was hold any conversations with people in German. When coming to Innsbruck, it was a big shock to see how much I didn't understand and more of a shock, how limited I was in expressing myself. Once I started some German courses in person and getting a hang of the grammar and talking, I noticed that my small vocabulary was limiting conversation. And this is where I was lucky enough to find Seedlang!

I've been using Seedlang for about 3 months now and very happy with it! Before Seedlang, I just started trying out Anki, which is a free very flexible flashcard program. This worked very well for me, but it took a bit of time setting up the system in such a way that gave me the words I wanted. And so I'll mention some of the things that I really love about Seedlang.

Seedlang has a 5,000+ word flashcard database that has some great search/sort.

With each word, you can sometimes find sentences where the word is used in context. Don't see a word you really want to learn? You to add any words that aren't there and sometimes those words are added to the database!



Seedlang has an easy and effective deck/flashcard system.

Again, you have that 5,000+ word library to choose from. You also have the ability to choose phrases that you want to add from the Stories and Trivia. For me, I use more the phrases from the Stories because it helps me with sentence structure and using vocab in practice. It's simple in that there is a large My Review button that you can't miss. It's very effective for me as it has a vocab learning method similar to Anki. If you see a word, remember it "Good", you'll see it in a day. If you remember it again, you see it in 3 days and so on, but if you forget it you start again at reviewing the card more frequently. This helps your memory recall words before they drop off into the void of forgetfulness.


Seedlang's stories are useful and entertaining.

Seedlang stories are little bundles of humor for me. They start off easy with a grammar concept like Articles and progress in difficulty. I really enjoy (and sometimes dread) how you are able to hear yourself speak the sentence. Later on in the stories, you even are asked to tell the story in your own words and you can safe that recording of yourself. I'm looking forward to cringing at myself from the future. Another really great feature is that the stories can also broken down into your flashcards to learn. Right now I'm listening to a story where Janusz and Cari (fyi, they are married in real life!) decide to go to Italy with some friends and a teddy bear ends up getting the bed all to itself. From this story and using my review, I know the phrase, "Sollen wir noch jemanden mitnehmen?" which means "Shall we take someone else?" which I am very excited to use again after the Corona quarantine restrictions.


Seedlang is always improving their materials.

The team is very dynamic and you can tell that they really are putting together material to help people learn German. Cari Schmid, the creator of the content, also has a very helpful and delightful YouTube channel Easy German that is also devoted to helping us learn German. They also have an Easy German Podcast! Which I encourage you to check out for more. Right now they are building their Mobile App, but you can still have an easy access way to add to your mobile screen for Android.


And so that concludes my very simple and enthusiastic review of Seedlang. If you like what you hear, I really recommend trying out their free trial. They have different pricing payment plans. I first went for a 3 month subscription just to see if it worked for me, and now I'm planning to move into the yearly subscription. So best of luck for your German learning journeys and see you next week :) 

German Exercise for the Week:

Icebreaker Bingo (Level: A1)
Here is a short fun way to get to know each other while learning some German :)

Popular posts from this blog

Old year reflections and new year dreams

Tool: Online map maker

Halfway in the year review (Level 10 Life)